Thursday, April 15, 2010

Whispers

Burrows Island April 2010

Shamans have a technique that helps ensure that their entire soul returns to their body at the conclusion of a spirit journey. It's important to have safeguards. The other world can feel so unifying, so peaceful and so beautiful.

The wise soul traveler knows that the deeper they go into the beauty and refuge of spirit the easier it would be just to stay there... leaving the shell of the body behind. Yet the wise shaman knows that freedom also dwells deeply in the connection and even the commitments back in the ordinary world.

So the shaman comes back to their body after flying within the secrets of the universe. S/he comes back to share information, bring healing, reveal beauty or to carry soul parts.

I am no shaman. I'm an ordinary stumbling sensitive man. I have had the great privilege to witness a few rare people with real compassionate power. My gift of sensitivity has allowed me to go to dream worlds. But my frailties made it hard for me to return.

I faced the dilemma of coming home this week. I sold my sacred island land. Today is my final day as legal steward of a place that I actually felt safe and at peace in this world.

I ferried over on a shining silver boat to remove all my belongings. I packed up every tool and blanket and chair. I even took the memorials of my beloved J and my brother. As I was flying back to the mainland on my friend's boat I made a decision:

To come all the way back into this world
and face the realities here.

I also wanted to bring a story
of the earth's beauty back to my family,
and back to you.


The shaman's technique I alluded to earlier is simple. The shaman-spirit traveler has an assistant who whispers in their ear as they return from their soul journey. The assistant reminds the master of the ordinary experiences that bring joy and smiles in this life. These whispers could include things like chocolate cake or holding hands with a spouse or playing cards with the kids. The whisper could be describing an event of beauty like the rush of wild flowers in the cool spring wind.

I'm no master. I sought refuge on the island I called Avalon because I needed the medicine of wildness away from my fear of people. And now I release that particular dream. I come back for my family and friends. I come back to share with you about my journey in a tangled forest and rocky shore of singing tides.

I'm grateful for my friends and family who help transport me home every day. I am grateful for those who remind me of why I am here.

What brings a smile to you?
Is there a way to integrate a safe & beautiful place
right into the ordinary miracle of your body,
here and now?

Peace to you from the shores of Avalon in my heart.

RSS

No comments:

Post a Comment