Tuesday, November 10, 2015

When I Look Outside

Have you ever put some much effort, identified so much with an idea, thing or person, that you lose your identity in them? This was written to explore our attachments to what and who we are, especially when life takes away all that we've given ourselves to.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I Look Outside

When I look out at the land
I actually see myself.
But I tell myself:
That’s not me.
It’s only the land I have poured
my life into time and time again.


I come home to this moment.
I turn my head and look into a mirror.
The face of a man looks back.
I see the image of one
overwrought and tired.
But I tell myself:
That’s not me.
It’s only the sweet field of clover
I have tended for so many years.


I know it will soon be
time to leave all images.
All the pourings and containments
cannot control the surging flood
of the river bound for the sea.

Time, the turbulent
riverbed of dreams will end soon.
The mirror will fall.
The field will be filled with
the soft shiny stars of the ocean.
Then who will I be?
Then…
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Burrows Island Channel
Bless You Today as You Look Deeply Into the Mirrors of Your Particular Life.

Love,
Rick



(c) Copyright Words and Photos, Richard Sievers, November 2015, All Rights Reserved






No comments:

Post a Comment