Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Coyote Tracks

Coyote on the shore of Burrows Island scavenging at low tide.
These incredible animals will sometimes swim between islands
through treacherous tides to find food, water or mates. (c) 8/2005

Two coyotes traipsed by our bedroom window sometime last night. They left their tracks in the new snowfall. Their wanderings were evident by the cat dish, beneath the back porch sink and in the compost bin. We could see that their visitation was not only stealthy but purposeful.

(Section Deleted, See 1-30-2011 Post)

I wonder about the trickster, coyote.

(Section Deleted... The coyote is still at work.)

Since last night many feelings and stories have passed by. I woke to the snow bound tracks of the trickster... the coyote, mythical creator and and wily jester. I was thrilled that someone wild had passed by my dreaming window. A soothing warmth rose up in my heart, knowing that these beings came and went on their mysterious errands. Somehow they are a part of me.

A fierce presence became evident on the inside of me as well as on the outside. "Fear" seems to be so close to "Fierce". I saw these feelings as visitors, unruly and honored guests. The fearful stories are just passing through looking liking for something or someone to eat.

The coyote is real and has something to teach me. But what she intends or thinks remains a mystery. Maybe it's OK just to see the tracks left on the white lawn, knowing that the snow will melt soon. I am determined to be compassionate with the part of me that shivers in a rabbit hole. But that's not all of me.

Invisibility is a habit that is hard to break.

Even little rabbits have special powers.
And even the wily coyote trembles in her dreams.

Peace to you, friend.
May you know the Great Compassion for your inner coyote and rabbit.
May you observe them with reverence and discernment.
When the time comes,
may you release them back to the wild place from whence they came.

RSS

No comments:

Post a Comment