Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Intersections and Opportunities

Choices of Honey (c) RSS 12/09

Quote from my Great Grandmother's journal, 1890:

"...I will try always to be better than my words and more liberal than my promises; every day I will make the most of myself and the best of myself; and so be ready for the opportunities which god daily sends to those who are ready for them..."
Julia M Sievers, Dennison, Iowa

Last night I was driving with my wife to an agriculture entrepreneurship class. The ongoing class is held at the extension office south of our little farm. When we came to the intersection below our house I turned north. We'd arranged sitting for the kids. We'd paid for the class and came ready with a completed business plan and basic business vision statement.

Yet I turned north, not south! My wife looked at me and said "Where are you going?" I replied that I wanted to go out on a date instead. Impromptu.

She laughed. She agreed, fortunately. And I lightened up my obsessions about making a living on the farm. We shared a beer and ate chocolate cake at the new pub in Battle Ground. We talked while the business class forded on without us. In the process I became clear that I want to focus on my writing and creative life

The catalyst for my heart is not farming or building or community service. Rather I love trying to synthesize something meaningful from these avocations within the written word. For me, nothing makes time dilate and fly more than working on a heart strung poem or story. Nothing threads the space between head and heart like words and colors. The choices for joy are different for everyone. Clarity is sometimes difficult.

I will go back to the class next week. But this time it will be with an expanded attitude found in a noisy pub over melting ice cream. What a privilege. There are so many choices in life. And there are many motivators, including paying the mortgage.

I remember my great grandmother today. She lived a vibrant and solid life. She created art in her children's upbringing and within her home. She prayed a lot and took risks based on what her heart and mind said.

What brings joy for you? And what experiences are you uniquely created for?

What opportunity would come for you if you were to "make the most and best" of yourself?

Last night the opportunity came in the laughter as we ditched a class. I found a happier clarity between home and my dreams.

Blessings at your intersections.
RSS

No comments:

Post a Comment