Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Excavation Part 1

We've experienced an ongoing leak in an old spigot on the edge of our pasture. Repairing the muddy mess has been something that I've avoided for nearly a year. Last weekend the sun came and shyly peeked through the clouds. So I decided to start digging.

When I uncovered the leaking junction I also found a surprise. The water source pipe appeared to run roughly from the area of our huge shop/studio fifty feet away. This is a place that has been without water since it was built in the 1980s. Water would would be a stellar addition to the workings of the shop and our life.

One thing led to another. I not only decided how to repair the leak. I also decided to trace to bendy PVC to back to it's source in order to build a junction line to the shop.

So I started excavating test holes all over the area the the pipe appeared to be heading. The kids helped guess where the pipe lay. But it took the hard work of digging three foot deep holes. After six holes were dug we found no pipe. The problem was that I began trying test holes far away from the leak.

I had to begin closer to the problem area, dig a hole about three feet away, find the pipe and then reassess it's direction. Then repeat the process three feet away again and again.

It took twelve more holes in the gumbo clay to trace the water back to it's source by the shop. It was a messy, sweaty effort. And it was intriguing and invigorating. The result is that the leak is not only being repaired, but water can be routed to a once dry building. The uses of the art space can expand exponentially now that a sink and faucet are going in.

This is a long story to extol the virtues of tracing the routes of challenges... energy leaks... back to their source. The metaphor reminds me of what happens in therapy or a deep friendship.

The excavation of the past or even one's ancestral tree can bring all sort of surprises.

And sometimes a once dry part of the seeker can become more than it ever was before.

The work of finding the source of an old anger or sorrow or even joy can be difficult and twisty. One cannot reach too far back at the beginning. Patience and mud and imagination are important. Family members pointing to areas saying "Dig here!" can either be helpful or distracting. But it's comforting to know that someone has interest in route of hidden water in the soul as well as on the land.

This week I want focus on ancestors and how they swim in our veins. I want to trace back to the sources of flow and flooding. I invite you to join me. Perhaps we can discover a new pipe or even a hidden spring together in this field of breath and heartbeat. Perhaps your ancestors will say: "Hey, look here!"

RSS

No comments:

Post a Comment