Thursday, February 11, 2010

Morning Pages

Every blade of grass has it's Angel
that bends over it and whispers,
"Grow, grow."
The Talmud


Every time my pen hovers over a blank white page there is a panic. "Just begin" I tell myself.

I remind myself that I write just for the experience of writing, just to see what will happen. To bring glowing words forward I must be willing to be darkly mediocre and yet also be open to an amazing flow of light.

The practice of writing can be like going to a potluck. It's like walking into a room full of strangers and acquaintances. Just showing up is key to any sort of connection. Then who knows, the experience may be average, superficial chit chat or even lonely. Or the gathering could bring an enlightening conversation that is a pivotal pint in life.

Often times I walk away from gathering of friends saying "I'm glad I went. Why was it so hard to leave our house and come here?" Sometimes the excursion into the unknown can bring you home to yourself.

Today I'm grateful for the practice of writing The Morning Pages. This practice is illuminated by Julia Cameron in her bedrock book for creatives called The Artist's Way. The practice is simply to put the pen on the paper and begin writing whatever words come. Do not lift the pen. Try not to hesitate or edit.

The practice often frees up energetic space in me. Sometimes worry is soothed. Sometimes an insight about my life is brought forward. Just write and practice the release and flow freely associating with whoever wants to come to the party.






I paint not by sight but by faith.
Faith gives you site.
Amos Ferguson



Please check out The Artist's Way Website here or on my sidebar.


RSS

No comments:

Post a Comment